June 9, 2016
The Vince Lombardi Cancer Foundation Board announced the details of their 2016 gift to Aurora Cancer Care at their annual meeting, Thursday, June 9, at Blue Mound Country Club. The event was emceed by 99.1 WMYX host Molly Cruz. Specifically, a total of $634,696 will be given to support innovation and research at Aurora Cancer Care.
“We continue to be proud of the support we can provide – because of our donors and partners – to Aurora Cancer Care,” said Erin Hareng, Executive Director of the Foundation, “Our team of thousands of Lombardi advocates based all around the nation make sure that we can support the great work happening to help those impacted by cancer.”
Details of the gift were announced at the Foundation’s annual meeting by VLCF Board President Paul Soltwedel. Projects the investment will support in 2016 include:
- Match events The VLCF match program is a way to give incentive to others to raise funds for cancer in the name of Vince Lombardi. VLCF matches $.50 on every dollar, for a total of more than $260,000 raised through these combined efforts. In 2015, those events included 4 Lombardi Walk to Tackle Cancer events, Waterford Balloon Fest, McGmo, the Aurora Community Golf Open, the Robin Werner Memorial Golf Outing, the Spooky Spring 5K with Kingfish Baseball and Colors for Care.
- Research Awards VLCF is continuing to support the Aurora Cancer Care Research Award Program, which allows scientists to lead and execute innovative research that benefits patients.
- Research Project for Translational Oncology VLCF is investing in a translational oncology research program. The program will look at biomarkers that could help avoid overtreatment exposing people to unnecessary radiation and side effects.
- Cardio Oncology Genomic Precision Medicine Program Another investment includes identifying those patients who are at the greatest risk of having a cardiac effect from cancer drugs and prevent the long-term impact of the cancer treatments. It’s taking genetic data and making the already daunting task of being treated for cancer safer.
- Spanish Speaking Nurse Navigators The Spanish Speaking Cancer Clinic at Aurora St. Luke’s Medical Center is the first of its kind in Wisconsin and serves an important patient demographic, especially for the Milwaukee community. The navigator provides great support to patients by working with their unique needs and assisting them through their treatment. This funding will allow access for many more patients.
In addition to VLCF’s gift announcement, VLCF and Annex Wealth Management also handed out the inaugural Know the Difference Award to Pat Payleitner. This award was created to honor someone who gives above and beyond to those dealing with cancer, performs special acts of kindness to have a positive impact, and builds the morale of people going through cancer and/or caregivers that care for them and much more.
“Our team is honored to partner with the Vince Lombardi Cancer Foundation to recognize Pat whose support makes a difference in those dealing with cancer through the Know the Difference Award,” said Dave Spano, president and Chief Executive Officer of Annex Wealth Management.
Dr. James Weese of Aurora Cancer Care, VLCF Board President Paul Soltwedel and Emcee Molly Cruz of WMYX with the $634,696 check